To understand asthma, it helps to understand how the airways work.
- Airways are tubes that carry air in and out of the lungs
- People with asthma have inflamed airways, making them swollen & very sensitive
- The airways tend to react strongly to certain substances when they are inhaled
- When the airways react, the muscles around them tighten
- The airways tighten, and less air is able to flow into the lungs
- If the swelling gets worse, the airways get even more narrow
- Cells in the airways might make more mucus than usual
- Mucus is a sticky, thick liquid that can further narrow the airways
- This can result in asthma symptoms, which can happen each time the airways become inflamed
Sometimes asthma symptoms are mild and go away on their own or with treatment from asthma medication.
When the symptoms get more intense and/or more symptoms occur, it causes an asthma attack, also called flare-ups or exacerbations
It’s important to treat symptoms when you first notice them. It will help prevent the symptoms from worsening and causing
a severe asthma attack.
Severe asthma attacks may require emergency care, and they can be fatal.
Tottori Allergy & Asthma Associates is the premier provider in Southern Nevada for allergic, asthma and immunologic conditions for both adults and pediatric patients. We offer outstanding state-of-the-art medicine and comprehensive clinical facilities, and we dedicate ourselves to create the best patient experience possible. We have been providing care to Nevadans since 1992. Caring is our business! Our number one goal is to provide the finest medical care possible while maintaining unsurpassed patient safety practices.